The Legend Of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Color Dungeon
The Color Dungeon is a special colorful dungeon that is optional. To unlock the Color Dungeon, reach the Cemetery region. It is available once you complete the first two dungeons and have the Power Bracelet and Roc’s Feather. To enter the dungeon, you must push five gravestones in a specific order, and push each one in a certain direction. Note: The clue is located on a book in the Mabe Village library. Once you unlock the ability to sprint, you can knock the book down and find the code. However, finding this code is not required. Go to the Cemetery, and locate the five gravestones in the bottom-right corner of the field. Start at the lower-right of the five gravestones, and then push the five gravestones in the following directions: 3: Up, 4: Right, 5: Up, 2: Left, 1: Down. The number indicates the order you need to push the stones. The 3, 4, and 5 stones are located at the top of the Cemetery, and the 2 and 1 stones are located below them. Once all of the stones are pushed, the Color Dungeon entrance will appear. The Color Dungeon contains many strange puzzles. There are also two mini-bosses, as well as a difficult main boss. You will need to bring Magic Powder to defeat the second mini-boss. It helps to have a little extra health before attempting this dungeon. Thus, it is recommended to wait until you have completed Dungeon 3 or Dungeon 4.
Bonus powerful armor
Successfully complete the Color Dungeon to unlock either the Red or Blue Suit armor. The Red Suit doubles your attack damage, while the Blue Suit halves the amount of damage you take from enemies. You can only choose one, but both are extremely good.
Free shop items
To steal items from the shop without consequence, first manually save your game outside the item shop before entering it to steal. Then, grab the item you want to steal and stand behind the shopkeeper in the lower-right corner of the shop. He will turn to face you. Quickly move left and exit the door. If you are quick, he will not turn fast enough to see you leave. When you leave, immediately go back inside. The shopkeeper will shoot Link with lightening, instantly killing him. Next, select “Retry” to load your previous save position. You will still keep the item you stole. You can now go back inside and talk to the shopkeeper. Repeat this as many times as desired. Note: This exploit was performed on an unpatched version of the game. It may eventually get patched. To avoid not being able to use this exploit, either do not install new patches before using this exploit or delete the patches. You can avoid patches being installed by disconnecting from the internet until you are ready for the game to install new patches.
Easy Crane Game
The Crane Game is a mini-game in Mabe Village. It contains many useful items, including extra rupees, heart pieces, secret sea shells, and all the missing figurines for the village. There are always five random items in the Crane Game, called the “Trendy Game”. The hardest items to get are on the top two moving conveyors. It costs 10 rupees per attempt, and you can obtain all items using the following trick. To get the item on the top-right conveyor, hold X to move the crane up as far as it will go. Hold A to move the crane as far right as it will go. Continue to hold A so the crane does not go down. Release A before the top-right conveyor goes as far left as it can go and begins moving back toward the top-right corner. To get the item on the top-left conveyor, hold X to move the crane up as far as it will go. Tap A just as the top-left conveyor stops and begins moving left after reaching its right-most point. If timed correctly, you will almost always get a reward. If you are too quick or too slow, you may slightly miss grabbing an item. If the item drops out of position, it is recommended to just leave the store and come back in to reset the item position. Unless the item rolls off the conveyor entirely, you may get a stationary item.
Fishing Pond unlockables
Successfully complete the indicated task at the Fishing Pond in Mabe Village to unlock the corresponding bonus:
- Chamber Stone 1: Catch a Blue Ol’ Baron.
- Chamber Stone 2: Catch a Blue Ol’ Baron 60 inches or better.
- Fairy Bottle: Found in the bottom-left area of the Pond’s Floor. Hook it and reel it in to get it.
- Heart Piece 1: Catch a Small Red Fish.
- Heart Piece 2: Catch a Large Green Fish.
- Heavyweight Lure: Catch a Blooper. Bloopers start appearing after Level 5.
- Middleweight Lure: Catch a Large Green Fish.
- Secret Seashell 1: Catch a Cheep Cheep. Cheep Cheeps start appearing after Level 4.
- Secret Seashell 2: Catch a Blooper. Bloopers start appearing after Level 5.
Secret music tracks
After selecting the “New Game” option, change the name from Link to one of the names to hear a different song:
- Ballad Of The Windfish: Marin
- Totaka’s Song: Totakeke
- Zelda Overworld Theme: Zelda
Secret ending cutscene
Successfully complete the game without dying once, specifically getting a “Game Over”; revived deaths from Crazy Tracy’s Secret Medicine do not count as deaths. After the credits and “The End” scene, an additional cutscene will play.
Optional item locations
The following items can easily be missed in a standard playthrough (even if you have thoroughly explored the island), and none are required to finish the story. Successfully complete the indicated task to get the corresponding optional item.
Boomerang: Found in a cave south of Sale’s house on Toronbo Shores. Bomb the cracked wall —- if you have the Magnifying Lens (obtained by completing the Trading quest), you will see an NPC. Trade any usable item to get the Boomerang. You can trade the Boomerang back again.
Fairy Bottle 1: A ghost will appear in the Animal Village. Escort the ghost back to their house in Martha’s Bay, then take them to the grave surrounded by flowers outside the cemetery.
Fairy Bottle 2: Found at the bottom of the fishing mini-game in Mabe Village. You need the Heavyweight Lure or your line will break while bringing up the bottom on the pond floor.
Fairy Bottle 3: Complete Chamber Dungeons in Dampe’s Hut until you unlock the “Heart Shortage” quest. Complete this quest to get the final fairy bottle.
Heavyweight Lure: Catch the Blooper Squid in the Fishing Pond mini-game. Make sure to get the Middleweight Lure by catching a large fish before attempting to get the Blooper Squid.
Upgraded Sword: Take 20 Secret Seashells to the Seashell Mansion to get an upgraded, more powerful sword.
Chamber Stone locations
Chamber Stones are hidden throughout Koholint and add new Chambers to the Chamber Dungeons at Dampé’s Shack when you give them to Dampé. Search the indicated locations to find all 14 Chamber Stones, in the order of availability. Note: Chambers unlocked through Amiibo are not listed below since they do not go towards the total shown on the Equipment menu.
1. Mabe Village – Trendy Game, 1st: Successfully complete one of Dampé’s challenges to unlock it as a prize at the Trendy Game.
2. Mabe Village – Town Tool Shop, 1st: Successfully complete the Color Dungeon to unlock it for sale at the Tool Shop for 1,280 Rupees.
3. Mabe Village – Town Tool Shop, 2nd: Successfully complete the Color Dungeon to unlock it for sale at the Tool Shop for 1,280 Rupees.
4. Ukuku Prairie – Seashell Mansion: Bring 30 Secret Seashells to get it as a gift.
5. Mabe Village – Fishing Pond, 1st: Once you have the Heavyweight Lure, keep fishing until a blue Ol’ Baron appears. Catch one to get it.
6. Mabe Village Fishing Pond, 2nd: Catch a blue Ol’ Baron 60 inches or better (around 110 Rupees or more to get this one).
7. Rapids Ride – Rapids Race: Successfully complete the Rapids Race in under 30 seconds to get it.
8. Mabe Village – Town Tool Shop, 3rd: Successfully complete Level 6: Face Shrine to unlock it for sale at the Tool Shop for 1,280 Rupees.
9. Ukuku Prairie – Seashell Mansion: Bring all 50 Secret Seashells to get it as a gift.
10. Mabe Village – Town Tool Shop, 4th: Successfully complete Level 8: Turtle Rock to unlock it for sale at the Tool Shop for 1,280 Rupees.
11. Mabe Village – Town Tool Shop, 5th: Successfully complete Level 8: Turtle Rock to unlock it for sale at the Tool Shop for 1,280 Rupees.
12. Mabe Village – Town Tool Shop, 6th: Successfully complete Level 8: Turtle Rock to unlock it for sale at the Tool Shop for 1,280 Rupees.
13. Mabe Village – Town Tool Shop, 7th: Successfully complete Level 8: Turtle Rock to unlock it for sale at the Tool Shop for 1,280 Rupees.
14. Mabe Village – Trendy Game, 2nd: Win all 10 Figurines to get it as a gift.
Amiibo special chambers
When talking to Dampé at his shack, select the “Amiibo” option and choose the “Get special chamber” selection. When prompted, scan a Zelda series Amiibo (Smash Bros. or Zelda series proper) to unlock the following chambers. However, each Amiibo must be different and cannot be the same one twice. Note: If the first Amiibo you scan is the Link’s Awakening Link, you will unlock a special chamber and the +Shadow Link effect; thus, only requiring four more unique scans instead of five.
- 1. Great Fairy’s Chamber (2-Door): Scan any unique Zelda series Amiibo.
- 2. Moblin Chief’s Chamber (3-Door): Scan any unique Zelda series Amiibo.
- 3. Ball and Chain Trooper’s Chamber (3-Door): Scan any unique Zelda series Amiibo.
- 4. Winged Item Chamber (4-Door): Scan any unique Zelda series Amiibo.
- 5. Armos Knight’s Chamber (4-Door): Scan any unique Zelda series Amiibo.
- 6. +Shadow Link Effect: Scan the Link’s Awakening Link Amiibo.
Rapids Race prizes
Finish Rapids Race (in the Rapids Ride mini-game) within the indicated time to get the corresponding prize. Note: You cannot get multiple prizes at once. Thus, you will have to do this multiple times and pace yourself carefully each time to get all prizes.
- Chamber Stone, 100 Rupees: Finish in under 30 seconds.
- Heart Piece: Finish in under 40 seconds.
- Secret Seashell: Finish in under 35 seconds.
Secret Seashell rewards
There are 50 Secret Seashells hidden throughout Koholint. Collect the indicated number of Seashells and turn them in at the Seashell Mansion, which is located close to Kanalet Castle in Ukuku Prairie, to get the corresponding reward.
- Chamber Stone (give to Dampé): Collect 30 Seashells.
- Chamber Stone (give to Dampé): Collect 50 Seashells.
- Heart Piece: Collect 5 Seashells.
- Koholint Sword (Level 2 Sword): Collect 40 Seashells.
- Seashell Sensor (signals when you are near a shell): Collect 15 Seashells.
Trendy Game figurines
Progress through the game to unlock figurines based off of Mario enemies at the Trendy Game. Once you get figurines, they can be placed on figurine stands found within the homes of Mabe Village’s residents. You can only have one figurine in your inventory at a time, and if any new ones are available, they will not appear until the previous one has been placed. Get all ten to unlock a Chamber Stone and decrease the price of the Trendy Game to 5 rupees. The following is a list of when each figurine becomes unlocked, and where they need to be placed.
- 1. CiaoCiao: Available after getting the Yoshi Doll. Place in Madam MeowMeow’s House.
- 2. Goomba: Available after Level 1. Place in Marin’s House.
- 3. Spiny: Available after Level 2. Place in Papahl’s House.
- 4. Boo: Available after Level 3. Place in Papahl’s House.
- 5. Cheep Cheep: Appears after Level 4. Place in Ulria’s House.
- 6. Blooper: Available after Level 5. Place in Ulria’s House.
- 7. Shy Guy: Available after Level 6. Place in Papahl’s House.
- 8. Pirahna Plant: Available after Level 7. Place in Marin’s House.
- 9. Pokey: Available after Level 8. Place in Papahl’s House.
- 10. BowWow: Available after completing the game. Place in Madam MeowMeow’s House.
Dampé’s challenges availability
Successfully complete Level 2: Bottle Grotto to unlock Dampé’s Shack, near the foot of Mt. Tamaranch (where the Egg is located). Dampé’s Shack allows access to the Chamber Dungeons, which are customizable dungeons using rooms from dungeons you have completed or have obtained by giving Dampé Chamber Stones you find around Koholint. Dampé will give you different challenges as you complete levels, which provide various prizes upon completion. The following is a list of when each challenge is available and what you get for completing it. Note: Challenges in this list are numbered based off of the number of shovels for their menu icon. This list also assumes you are completing challenges as they become available.
1-1 (Dungeon Arranging 101): Successfully complete Level 2: Bottle Grotto to unlock a new chamber.
1-2 (Placing Basics): Successfully complete Dungeon Arranging 101 to unlock a new chamber.
1-3 (A Passage Across): Successfully complete Level 3: Key Cavern to unlock a new chamber.
1-4 (Fill Up Your Hearts): Successfully complete “A Passage Across” to get a Secret Seashell and Heart Piece.
2-1 (Key Hunter): Successfully complete all Level 1 Challenges to unlock a new chamber.
2-2 (Bombs Away!): Successfully complete Level 4: Angler’s Tunnel to unlock a new chamber and the +Bombs effect.
2-3 (Treasure Vault): Successfully complete Level 5: Catfish’s Maw to unlock a new chamber.
2-4 (Passageway Central): Successfully complete the Treasure Vault to get a Heart Piece.
3-1 (Stair Decisions): Successfully complete Level 6: Face Shrine to unlock a new chamber.
3-2 (Heart Shortage): Successfully complete “Stair Decisions” to unlock a new chamber and Fairy Bottle.
3-3 (Sheathed Sword): Successfully complete Level 7: Eagle’s Tower to unlock a new chamber and the +Hearts effect.
3-4 (Ticking Clock): Successfully complete Level 8: Turtle Rock to unlock a new chamber, +Wallmasters effect, and Heart Container.
4-All (All Gold Challenges): All Gold Challenges unlock after completing all regular challenges. All Gold Challenges give 300 rupees.
Equip both the bow and bombs, then press both buttons simultaneously to launch an explosive bomb-tipped arrow.